Today I decided to break from the normal at home practice that I would do since I don’t have a sitter for Wednesdays and take time to meditate. I am planning on doing this before bed as I find it helps me to clear my thoughts and drift asleep effortlessly. I thought I’d share some tips on meditation that I have gathered along the way:
- You do NOT have to be sitting cross legged on a white pillow surrounded by candles. You can meditate anywhere you are comfortable. But do try and limit your distractions of possible. (At least when you’re new at meditation!)
- You can breathe normally, scratch an itch you have or leave your eyes open if you want. Closing them does help with the whole direction thing though!
- Know that you will have tons of thoughts and distractions along the way and that is OK! Each time you feel yourself ‘drifting’ then just being your thoughts back to stillness or nothing-ness. I always try to focus on a single phrase which changes for me. Sometimes I lost the things I’m thankful for, or I use ‘so-hum’ (kind of like ‘so what’) to reset my clear mind.
- It does not have to take hours! Start with 5-7 minutes and gradually build up of you desire to. I like 10 minutes but know there are days where I can only spare 5. I do what I can when I can!
- Meditation can be invigorating so I encourage you to try it earlier in the day or at a lunch break of possible and not before bed. I have found my sweet spot before bed, but it’s a specific type of meditation for me that is guided. If I were to do my own I would more than likely be energized and not be able to sleep. Some guided ones I like are from headspace and breathe easy (both apps).